Visvesvaraya Technological University had set up a special cell in July 2014 to assist the students from Scheduled Cast (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) communities and Other Backward Classes in improving their academic performance and in optimizing their development in their personal and social life at the University/Affiliate Colleges as per the guidelines of UGC/AICTE for strict implementation of reservation policy in University and its Affiliated Colleges. The university is setting up a special for the welfare of Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribes & Other Backward Classes in order to ensure the effective implementation of reservation policy in admission, recruitment, allotment of staff quarters and hostels etc.
The main objectives of the SC/ST & OBC CELL are as follows;
- To implement the reservation policy for SCs/STs and OBCs in the University and its Affiliate Colleges
- To collect data regarding the implementation of policies in respect of admissions, appointments, promotions to teaching and non-teaching positions in the University and its Affiliate Colleges and to analyze the data showing the trends and changes towards fulfilling the required quota.
- To take such follow up measures for achieving the objectives and targets laid down for the purpose by the State Government and the UGC.
- To implement, monitor and evaluate continuously the reservation policy in the University/Affiliate Colleges and plan measures for effective implementation of the policy and programme of the Government and UGC.
- To guide the SC/ST & OBC students of the University, to optimally utilize the benefits of the schemes offered by the State Government, Government of India (GOI) and UGC.
- To circulate State Government and University Grants Commission’s decision and to collect regularly, on an annual basis, information regarding course-wise admissions to candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and OBC in the Universities and Affiliated Colleges for different courses, in forms prescribed by a stipulated date and to take follow up action, where required.
- To circulate State Government and University Grants Commission’s decisions and to collect information in respect of appointment, promotion, training of these communities in teaching and non teaching posts in the Universities and Affiliated Colleges, in suitable forms by a stipulated date and take follow up action where required.
- To collect reports and information regarding the State Government and University Grants Commissions orders on the various aspects of education, training and employment of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and OBC candidates, for evolving new policies or modifying existing policy by the State Government and University Grants Commission.
- To analyze the information collected above and prepare reports and digests for onward transmission to the Ministry of Human Resource Development/University Grants Commission and such other authorities as may be required.
- To deal with representations received from Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and OBC candidates regarding their admission, recruitment, promotion and other similar matters in Universities/Affiliated Colleges.
- To monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme, if approved in the affiliated colleges and university.
- To function as a Grievances Redressal Cell for the Grievances of SC/ST & OBC students and employees of the University and render them necessary help in solving their academic as well as administrative problems.
- To maintain a register for employment of SCs/STs and OBCs in the university and affiliated colleges for the candidates belonging SC/ST & OBC communities for Teaching posts in the university/affiliated colleges.
- To inspect the affiliated colleges of the university for furnishing the statistical information and implementation of the rule of reservation for SC/ST & OBC students admitted in various UG & PG Courses, appointment to the Teaching and Nonteaching posts and any other facilities providing to SC/STs & OBCs in the Colleges.
- To scrutinize and inspect the affiliated colleges the Liaison Officer has power to inspect personally to all the Affiliated Colleges regarding implementation of reservation in admissions for various courses, appointments and promotions of teaching and non teaching staff as per the govt. norms and prepare a final report and submit it to the University and to the Government.
The Liaison Officer on behalf of the SC/ST & OBC Cell organizes pre-admission coaching programme for SC/ST & OBC candidates to help them prepare for Entrance Tests as well as post-admission orientation programme for new students at the beginning of the academic session. Various coaching classes are conducted on life skills, personality development, writing and presentation skills and so on. Interactive sessions and informal meetings with students are also conducted to help them deal with personal, social and academic problems.
The Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes & OBC Cell was established at the
University as per Government and UGC directions in the year 2014. The honorary position of the Liaison Officer is occupied by Dr. Pralhad Rathod, Associate Professor, Department of MBA. The Liaison Officer, on behalf of the Cell, facilitates the overall welfare of the students, staff and faculty belonging to these communities. However, the responsibilities of the Liaison Officer are briefly given below;
The Following Attachment is Given Below: